- Recipe created by ChefMom on Nov 17, 2010
- Permalink: http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipes/roasted-turkey
- View more recipes by ChefMom.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr
- Total: 3 hr 25 min
- Serving: 8, with leftovers
Sometimes less is more. That is certainly the case with this recipe for roasted turkey. With understated flavors and perfectly browned skin, this turkey really stands out. This could very well be the last roasted turkey recipe you'll ever need.
Tip: Make sure you baste the turkey once every 30 minutes to ensure a evenly browned skin. Cover loosely with foil if it starts to darken too soon.
- 1, 12 pound turkey, thawed if frozen
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Kosher salt
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut onions into wedges. Chop carrots and celery into 2-inch pieces.
- Prepare turkey by removing neck (save) and giblets (discard). Dry turkey by patting with paper towels.
- Stuff the turkey with thyme and 1/2 the onions.
- Tie the legs and tuck wings under turkey while placing it on a roasting rack.
- Rub the butter all over turkey. Sprinkle with salt.
- Put neck, carrots, celery, and onions in roasting pan with rack and turkey on top.
- Cook for about 3 hours or until turkey reaches 175 degrees Fahrenheit in the thigh.
- Use chicken broth for added juice if needed to prevent vegetables from scorching.
- Dinner Recipes
- Appetizer Recipes
- Drink Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Family Recipes
- Sauce & Marinade Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Lunch Recipes
- Snacks and Starters
- Quick & Easy Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Baby Food Recipes
- Picky Eaters