- Recipe created by ChefMom on Jan 3, 2011
- Permalink: http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipes/leek-and-potato-soup-with-shrimp
- View more recipes by ChefMom.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Serving: 15
The warm, creaminess of Leek and Potato Soup with Shrimp is extra delicious with the addition of fresh shrimp. While this recipe take a little over an hour to prepare, your time will be well rewarded. Be careful though, this recipe yeilds enough for 15 1-cup servings so invite some friends over to enjoy it with you.
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch well-washed, fresh leeks (all but any brown leaves), chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, washed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked shrimp
- Bring chicken stock, butter, salt, pepper, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce to a boil in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Stir in leeks, scallions, and garlic, simmering for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash soup ingredients.
- Go ahead and stir in cream and milk. You'll want the soup thick, but not too thick. Add additional milk if needed to thin it some.
- Season to taste and add cooked shrimp 5 minutes before serving.
- Dinner Recipes
- Appetizer Recipes
- Drink Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Family Recipes
- Sauce & Marinade Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Lunch Recipes
- Snacks and Starters
- Quick & Easy Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Baby Food Recipes
- Picky Eaters