- Recipe created by ChefMom on Nov 24, 2010
- Permalink: http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipes/homemade-mac-and-cheese
- View more recipes by ChefMom.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4-6 People
Try this simple recipe for homemade mac and cheese, your kids will love it!
- 10-ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4-ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4-ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted, boiling water according to package directions for al dente (cooked through but still firm to the bite). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cheeses and set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, swirling pan occasionally. Whisk in the flour.
- Slowly add milk to the butter mixture, while continually whisking until the mixture is smooth. Add cheese, continuing to whisk, until a smooth sauce forms. Whisk in the lemon juice.
- Add macaroni and stir to coat. Season with black pepper and serve hot.
- Dinner Recipes
- Appetizer Recipes
- Drink Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Family Recipes
- Sauce & Marinade Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Lunch Recipes
- Snacks and Starters
- Quick & Easy Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Baby Food Recipes
- Picky Eaters