- Recipe created by ChefMom on Dec 5, 2010
- Permalink: http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipes/hearty-tomato-soup
- View more recipes by ChefMom.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 4
Everyone loves a great Hearty Tomato Soup. This recipe really stands out from the rest with fresh tomatoes and a delicious blend of seasonings.
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teeaspoon fresh marjoram leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups water
- 4-5 tablespoon heavy cream plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Prepare tomatoes by discarding seeds, reserving juice, and roughly chopping the flesh.
- Warm olive oil in a saucepan then cook carrot and celery for 4 minutes. Toss in tomatoes, reserved juice, garlic, and marjoram for 2 minutes.
- Add water and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Cool soup a bit then puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and warm.
- Add cream, basil, and season to taste. Serve with cream.
- Dinner Recipes
- Appetizer Recipes
- Drink Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Family Recipes
- Sauce & Marinade Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Lunch Recipes
- Snacks and Starters
- Quick & Easy Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Baby Food Recipes
- Picky Eaters