- Recipe created by ChefMom on Nov 21, 2010
- Permalink: http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipes/apple-bread-pudding
- View more recipes by ChefMom.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 6-8 People
Instead of heavy cream and copious amounts of sugar, this slimmed down apple bread pudding is made with low fat milk, whole wheat sourdough, and just enough sugar to give it a sweet edge.
- 2 1/2 cups low fat 2% milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed, day-old cracked whole wheat sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 green apples, halved, cored, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously grease a 9-inch baking dish. Put a kettle of water on to boil.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat milk, stirring, until steaming. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and 1/4 cup sugar; slowly whisk in hot milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and spices.
- Add bread and currants to the milk mixture, tossing to combine; press down lightly with the back of a large spoon; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss apples and lemon juice. Heat a medium skillet over low heat until hot; add butter and swirl until just melted and the foam subsides; sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sugar over the melted butter.
- Add apples to the skillet and increase heat to medium, cook until apples begin to lightly brown and the sauce thickens. Use a spatula to flip apples over and continue to cook, spooning sauce over apples until they are tender.
- Transfer apple mixture to prepared baking dish, arranging them in a single layer, overlapping if necessary. Transfer bread mixture to baking dish, evenly covering apples, and pressing mixture down. Set the baking dish in a shallow baking pan.
- Place baking pan in the oven and carefully add the hot water from the kettle to the shallow baking pan until it is halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, or until bread pudding is set and lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Run a knife around the edge of the pudding to loosen from the dish; place a serving platter over it and invert the pudding onto the platter.
- Dinner Recipes
- Appetizer Recipes
- Drink Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Family Recipes
- Sauce & Marinade Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Lunch Recipes
- Snacks and Starters
- Quick & Easy Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Baby Food Recipes
- Picky Eaters