Pumpkin cheesecake French toast sticks
Yes, I'm totally advocating cheesecake for breakfast. How else will you manage to get your kids to eat anything before school? These sticks are perfect for little hands and will finally get your kids to eat something other than Froot Loops. A total win in my book.
Pumpkin cheesecake French toast sticks recipe
Adapted from Sweet Treats More
Serves about 8
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup for dipping
For the filling
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a nonstick skillet with butter and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cut the bread into slices and then in half again.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, eggs, cream and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine. Dip the bread slices liberally into the pumpkin mix and place on the hot skillet.
- Cook until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes (3 to 4 minutes on each side).
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth and thick.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of filling over the top of half of the sticks. Top with another stick and serve with maple syrup.