Chicken marsala shepherd's pie
Chicken Marsala shepherd's pie takes the classic Italian dish and smothers it with a thick layer of creamy potatoes. This is one comfort meal that will be a hit from the first bite.
Chicken Marsala shepherd's pie recipe
- 1 pound red-skin potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup sherry
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and boil the potatoes until very soft.
- Drain, then mash the potatoes with the 1/4 cup of butter, milk and Parmesan cheese. Season with black pepper if desired.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add the chicken. Saute until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and coat the chicken and mushrooms in it.
- Add the Marsala wine and sherry, stir to combine, and cook until the mixture is very thick.
- Season as desired with salt and pepper.
- Spread the chicken and mushroom mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and spread it evenly over the chicken.
- Serve immediately, or broil until the potatoes on top are golden brown.
- Serve hot.