Nut-crusted spiced French toast
There is nothing better than a big Sunday breakfast. This simple nut-crusted French toast is a family favorite and is packed full of flavor. The spiced maple syrup is optional but why would you want to leave it out? Trust me, it's worth it.
Nut-crusted spiced French toast recipe
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 6 thick slices bread
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- In a shallow dish (I used an 8 x 8-inch casserole pan) whisk together eggs, milk, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- In another shallow dish, mix together nuts.
- Quickly dip bread into the milk mixture and press both sides into the nuts. Crust the bread thoroughly.
- Spray your griddle with nonstick spray (or melted butter) and add French toast.
- Cook until the bottom is toasted, flip and cook until other side is toasted as well.
- Add cooked French toast to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you prepare maple syrup.
- In a small saucepan, add maple syrup, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes until lightly spiced and flavorful.
- Serve French toast with a drizzle of syrup.