Dinner Shortcuts: Chicken & black bean Southwest bake
Casseroles are the key to a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Chicken and black beans are a match made in heaven. This dish is comforting and perfect for the upcoming cold weather. Top with a little cheese and call it a meal.
Chicken & black bean Southwest bake recipe
Yields 8 x 8-inch dish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups shredded chicken, from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8 x 8-inch dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot add in onions and bell peppers. Saute until translucent and somewhat soft.
- Add in chicken, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, chili powder and chipotle chile powder. Stir together to combine and slightly mash the beans to create a thicker bean mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes until warmed throughout and cheese is melted on top. If the cheese starts to brown too quickly, simply cover with foil.
Note: You can also divide the mixture into smaller baking vessels for single serving options.