Easy taco bowls
I love Mexican food so much I think I could eat it every day! While delicious, sometimes it isn’t the healthiest option for dinner until now. Rather than use high-calorie taco shells or tortillas I simply used a single whole grain tortilla and formed it in a greased oven safe bowl and baked it. The result is a super-healthy version of a crunchy taco but stuffed into a little bowl. Kids will love this and rather than using a taco shell all of your fillings stay neatly inside the tortilla bowl.
Easy taco bowls recipe
For the tortilla bowls:
- 6 oven safe bowls or ramekins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 small fajita-sized tortillas
For the filling
- 1 pound cooked ground taco meat of choice (turkey, beef, chicken)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- 2-3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Sour cream, salsa and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray each of the oven safe bowls with cooking spray.
- Form each of the tortillas to fit inside each of the bowls and place the bowls on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the tortilla bowls from the oven and divide the cooked taco meat between each of the bowls.
- Top with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, onions and garnish with sour cream, salsa and fresh cilantro.
- Best served immediately.