Tater tots have such a special spot in my childhood memories. They were either a special "treat" with dinner or a really exciting school lunch. Of course, that was back when calories didn't matter and metabolism was a word I didn't even know. These cheddar cauli-tots are a healthier version of that childhood treat but still just as delicious and deserve the same excitement.
- 1/2 head cauliflower, grated (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a mini-muffin tray with baking spray.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the mini-muffin tins pressing down firmly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until edges start to turn brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven, let cool 10 minutes before carefully running a knife around the tins and popping out the tots.
- Serve with salsa, ketchup or guacamole.