Sloppy Joe casserole
Sloppy Joes are sandwiches we have all enjoyed as kids. Here rather than serving it on a bun, we served it under a biscuit topping creating this fun and super-easy casserole. You can make this with any type of meat from ground chicken to ground beef. I added in diced sweet onions to add extra flavor to this already simple yet delicious meal. If you want to go the vegetarian route, try substituting veggie burger crumbles for the ground meat.
Sloppy Joe casserole recipe
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey, chicken or beef
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 (15-1/2 ounce) can sloppy Joe sauce
- 1-1/2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a small to medium-sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in the ground meat and onions. Cook the mixture until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the sloppy Joe sauce and mix well. Bring to a light simmer and remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add the baking mix, milk, eggs and cheddar cheese. Mix well until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the meat mixture into the bottom of the baking dish and then pour the biscuit topping over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is a deep golden brown color. Allow to cool several minutes and serve.