Easter egg chocolate pancakes
Instead of bingeing on the candy, I'm putting it on top of luscious kid-friendly pancakes. These make a perfect weekend breakfast treat. Or, if you're feeling extra nice (and/or your kids won't get dressed for the school bus and you need a way to bribe them), these make great Monday morning breakfasts too.
Double chocolate candy pancakes
Serves about 8
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons light cream
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped Mini Cadbury Eggs
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together. Add the egg, applesauce and light cream and stir to combine.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop the pancake mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, onto the hot skillet and cook until the batter starts to bubble (about 4 minutes). Flip and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 60 seconds, stirring after 30. Whisk the chocolate with the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Pour the sauce over the pancakes and garnish with chopped Cadbury Eggs.