Honey barbecue chicken hand pies
Everyone loves pie and almost everyone probably agrees they enjoy barbecue chicken just as much. Here I combined these two loves into one delicious idea. Using puff pastry creates a super light and flaky crust and the sweet barbecue chicken makes the perfect filling without being too heavy. These are great for a light dinner, after-school snacks or even for a party or potluck. If you are vegetarian, try replacing the chicken with tofu, tempeh or your favorite faux meat such as Beyond Meat.
Honey barbecue chicken hand pies recipe
Yields 8 servings
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups very finely shredded or diced rotisserie chicken breast
- 1 cup bottled or homemade honey barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough on a floured surface. Cut each sheet of pastry into 4 squares making a total of 8 pastry squares.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken and the barbecue sauce mixing well. Divide the mixture between each of the pastry squares placing a heaping spoonful on 1 side of the pastry square (you need to leave room to fold the dough).
- Top each pie with cheese and fold the dough over the top of the chicken. Using your fingers or a fork, gently press the edges of the pastry to create a seal.
- Transfer the pastries to the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the tops of the pies are golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.