Risotto with butternut and sage
Risotto with butternut squash and sage is the perfect dinner to serve a crowd. Steamy and comforting, this is one vegetarian dish that will never miss the meat!
Risotto with butternut squash and sage
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small white onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional: if no wine, then use chicken stock)
- 6-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sage
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil and butternut squash and cook until the squash is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the squash to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the pot and add the onion and rice.
- Stir to combine and allow the onion to soften and the rice to toast slightly.
- Add the wine and, stirring constantly, cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, and stir constantly until the liquid evaporates. Add a cup after the preceding cup has evaporated.
- When the rice is cooked through and the risotto is creamy, stir in the cooked butternut squash, sage and Parmesan cheese.
- Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.