Green velvet cupcakes with fluffy cream cheese frosting
If you want a fun, easy dessert to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day look no further. Here I share a simple and easy recipe for green velvet cupcakes with a rich and creamy frosting! I recommend allowing the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting otherwise your frosting may melt off due to the heat. If you would like to make a mini version of these sweet treats just follow this recipe and use a mini muffin pan in place of the regular-sized muffin pan.
Green velvet cupcakes with fluffy cream cheese frosting recipe
Yields 12 cupcakes
For the green velvet cupcakes:
- 1 white boxed cake mix
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil
- 1 bottle green food coloring
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, mix well.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the frosting is thick and fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven and prepare the cake batter as directed on the box of cake mix.
- Add 1 tablespoon of green food coloring or enough to reach desired shade of green and mix the batter very well.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each muffin cup 3/4 full of the cake batter.
- Bake the cupcakes as directed. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. (I recommend 30-60 minutes)
- Frost each of the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting and garnish with green sprinkles if desired and serve.