Heart-shaped Jell-O cookies recipe
You can easily change the color and flavor of these adorable cookies by varying the kind of Jell-O used!
Heart-shaped Jell-O cookies
Makes anywhere from 4 to 6 dozen, depending on the size of your cookie cutter
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Jell-O powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or any other flavor)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Food coloring or gel paste, if desired
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar and Jell-O powder until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- If the color of the mixture looks weak, add a few drops of coloring at a time until you reach the desired hue.
- Add the eggs and flavor extract and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. The dough will be fairly soft, but not sticky.
- At this point, you have 2 options. To make heart cut-outs using a cookie cutter, refrigerate the dough before cutting, several hours or overnight. Alternatively, you can press the soft dough into molds and refrigerate those until the dough is set. I prefer this method because you can just pop them out and put them on the prepared pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle some granulated sugar on your work surface, then roll the cookie dough so that it's about 1/2-inch thick.
- Carefully peel up the cookies and place them on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Generously sprinkle the tops of the unbaked cookies with colored coarse sugar.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool on a cookie rack.