3 Stuffed holiday breads
These savory and sweet bread recipes are all kid approved! Stuffed with gooey cheese, pizza sauce, apple pie and melted caramel, these breads are perfect for breakfast, dessert or even an after-school snack!
Pizza and cheese-stuffed monkey bread
Serves about 12
For the dough:
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (1 package)
- 1/3 cup milk, warmed to 110 degrees F
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the yeast, warm milk and sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a stand mixer and mix in 2 cups of flour. Mix the melted butter and water together, carefully pour into the yeast mixture. Using a dough hook, knead the dough, gradually adding in the remaining flour and eggs. Knead until dough is soft and no longer sticky.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead for a few more minutes. Lightly grease a bowl and add the dough. Cover with greased Saran wrap and let rise in a warm spot for about 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has doubled, punch down. Using floured hands, pull balls of dough out of the doubled dough and place in a greased Bundt pan. Once you have a layer on the bottom, cover with 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Cover the sauce with remaining dough balls. Cover the top of the bread with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover mixture with greased Saran wrap and let rise another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the Saran wrap and bake bread for about 15 minutes. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake another 15 minutes.
Caramel-stuffed chocolate chip quick bread
Serves about 8
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- About 12 Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. In another bowl, beat the butter, sugars, egg, milk, vanilla and cream together. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour about 1/2 of the batter into the loaf pan. Top the center of the batter with Rolo candies and cover with remaining 1/2 of the batter.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Pecan apple cinnamon rolls
Inspired by Baked By Rachel
Serves about 6 rolls
For the rolls:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed to 100 degrees F
- 4 cups flour
- 1 package yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large apples, diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1/2 block cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- To make the dough, mix the yeast, warm milk and sugar in a large bowl. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix in the butter, egg yolks, egg, vanilla and 2 cups of the flour. Using your kneading hook, knead to combine. Gradually add the remaining flour and knead until dough is soft and no longer sticky, about 6 minutes.
- Move the mixture to an oiled bowl. Top the bowl with greased Saran wrap and place in a warm area to double in size, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Mix apples, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Save about 1/4 cup in another bowl.
- Once dough has doubled, punch down and place on a floured surface. Roll to a large 12 x 18-inch triangle using a floured rolling pin. Top with filling, leaving a border. Then carefully roll the mixture up into a jelly roll shape. Cut the roll into 1-1/2-inch thickness and place the rolls in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Cover with greased Saran wrap and let double again, about an hour.
- Once doubled, remove Saran wrap and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake rolls until soft and fluffy, about 25 minutes.
- While these bake, prepare the icing by beating the cream cheese, cream and sugar together. When rolls are still warm, drizzle with icing and top with pecans and remaining apple filling.