Calzones stuffed to the brim with all of our favorite lasagna ingredients and then baked off to golden goodness. You'll never look at lasagna the same way again!
Makes 8 calzones
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 cups marinara sauce of choice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Brown and crumble the sausage.
- Drain the grease from the sausage, then pour in the marinara.
- Bring to a simmer and let the sauce cook down until almost all the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- For each calzone, roll the dough into an 8-inch circle.
- Place 1/8 of the cheese mixture and 1/8 of the meat mixture in the center.
- Close the dough edges together to make a half-moon shape.
- Press and seal all of the edges very well.
- Place on the baking sheet and repeat until 8 calzones are made.
- Bake at 500 degrees F for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot.