Apple slab pie
Need dessert to feed a crowd after the big game or even for pre-planning a Thanksgiving feast? Look no further! Apple slab pie is made in a large square dish, making slicing and serving easy! Pie crust, fresh apple pie filling and sweet vanilla drizzle come together to make dessert a breeze!
Apple slab pie
- 1 (14.1 ounce) package prepared pie dough
- 4 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a clean counter top sprinkled lightly with flour.
- Roll the dough pieces into large rectangles about 1/8-inch thick.
- Gently press 1 piece of dough into a 2.2-quart rectangular baking dish, being sure to press it up the side of the dish.
- Sprinkle the bottom with breadcrumbs.
- Top the breadcrumbs with the chopped apples.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the sugar.
- Take the remaining piece of pie dough and place it on top of the pie, pressing the edges together.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the pie to let steam escape.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the pie filling is bubbly.
- While the pie is baking, whisk together the powdered sugar, apple juice and vanilla.
- When the pie is done, pour the glaze immediately over the top.
- Spread the glaze to the edges.
- Let cool completely before serving.