Dinner shortcuts: Potato bacon casserole
Breakfast shouldn't be bland. Don't just settle for the same old boring toast and eggs. This breakfast skillet is simple to throw together and will please even your pickiest eaters. Plus, who doesn't love super crispy bacon?
Potato bacon casserole
Yields the contents of a 10-inch skillet
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 pound fried bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces half and half
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet, add half of the frozen hash browns, half the frozen onions, half the bacon, half the cheese and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Top with remaining hash browns, onions, bacon and cheese.
- In a measuring cup, whip together half and half and egg. Pour over hash brown mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove foil and cook until browned on the top, about 15 minutes.