Lox bagel with herbed cream cheese
Lox bagels can be made at home with even more flavor than a bagel shop and at a fraction of the cost! Homemade herbed cream cheese make these breakfast staples extra special.
Homemade lox bagels
Makes 6 bagels
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 pound store-bought lox (cured salmon filet)
- 1 small English cucumber
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thinly
- 3 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- To make the bagels combine the honey, yeast and water in the bottom of a stand mixer with a dough-hook attachment.
- Stir lightly to combine and let it sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in 2 cups of flour.
- Slowly add a little more flour until a very stiff dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until a smooth dough forms, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray and place the dough in the bottom.
- Cover with a damp towel and let sit for 1 hour to rise.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface again and cut into 6 even pieces.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball, then make a hole in the center using your finger.
- Working the dough around the hole make the hole bigger, then set on a baking sheet covered with parchment to set for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to boil with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Brush a baking sheet with the olive oil.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, gently place 2 bagels in the water and let them boil for 30 seconds per side.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, then turn over and allow to bake another 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the cream cheese stir together the cream cheese, garlic, parsley, basil and dill until all of the herbs are well combined.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- To put together the bagels, gently slice each bagel in half.
- Spread each half with the herbed cream cheese.
- Top with 1-2 slices of the lox, 1-2 slices of the English cucumber, 1-2 slices of the red onion and capers, if desired.