Grilled apple jam, cheddar and bacon panini
Apple jam, sharp cheddar and smokey bacon come together to make one delicious, grilled panini sandwich.
Grilled, apple, cheddar and bacon panini
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices thick-cut Italian bread
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Wash, peel and core the apples.
- Grate the apples into a large microwavable bowl using a box grater and stir in the sugar.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the softened apples and sugar to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Return to the microwavable bowl, add the cinnamon stick, and microwave for another 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Set aside and let cool to thicken.
- While the jam is cooling cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy.
- Set on a paper towel to drain.
- To assemble the sandwiches spread 1-2 tablespoons of apple jam on one slice of bread.
- Cut the bacon into half and place four halves (two slices of bacon) on top of the jam.
- Cover the bacon with 2 ounces of shredded cheese and top with the other slice of bread.
- Once all of the sandwiches are assembled spread the outside of each sandwich with butter.
- Grill on a grill pan over medium heat until grill marks form, the bread turns golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.