A chef’s spin on Thanksgiving leftovers
Let Thanksgiving be the meal that keeps on giving with these creative uses for leftovers that will feed your family all week long. From a gourmet wrap with cranberry aioli to Southwestern and Mexican inspired soup and tacos, you won't even feel like you're eating leftovers.
Chef Quiros doesn't treat leftovers like a burden. Instead, they're the springboard for a number of exciting meals. Mix extra cranberry sauce with mayonnaise, mustard and a drop of orange juice for a gourmet condiment with a zing. Or put those remaining veggies to good use in a spicy Southwestern turkey soup with all the fixings. Your family will be begging you to make these dishes all year round.
More delicious ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers >>
Turkey flatbread pinwheels with cranberry aioli
- 4 sun-dried tomato flat breads or tortillas
- 5 ounces cranberry aioli (recipe below)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, drained
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 4 pieces thinly-sliced turkey breast from leftovers
- 4 slices burrata cheese (substitute fresh mozzarella)
- Spread the aioli across each piece of flatbread.
- Evenly distribute the spinach, roasted red peppers, bacon, turkey and burrata amongst the four flatbreads.
- Roll up tightly. Slice into 1-inch pinwheels and serve.
- 1/2 cup left over cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- Mix the cranberry sauce, mayonnaise, mustard and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Southwestern turkey soup
- 1 pound leftover turkey, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup leftover vegetables from Thanksgiving dinner
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup of leftover corn
- 1 cup diced fresh avocado, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Combine the turkey, onion, vegetables, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and ground black pepper in a large pot.
- Stir and add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn and beans.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with avocado and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Turkey tacos with chipotle sour cream and fiesta slaw
- 1/2 pound leftover turkey, roughly shredded in large pieces
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro , plus more for garnish
- Fiesta cabbage slaw (recipe below)
- Chipotle sour cream (recipe below)
- 8 flour tortillas
- Put the turkey, lime juice, chili powder, paprika and jalapeño in a large bowl and toss to mix well.
- Evenly distribute the turkey mixture (about 4 ounces each) down the center of each tortilla, serving two per person.
- Top with fiesta cabbage slaw and a spoonful of chipotle sour cream. Garnish with cilantro.
Fiesta cabbage slaw
- 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 head white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Put the red and white cabbage and onion in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, orange juice, oil and honey until thoroughly combined. Pour over the cabbage.
- Add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss so every piece of cabbage is coated.
- Garnish with mint.
- Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
Chipotle sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 ounces adobo sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Put the ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined and smooth.
- Serve immediately or store, covered, in the refrigerator.