Southern Thanksgiving sides
Southern sides that make every calorie worth it — and the leftovers just get better and better! Sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, pineapple casserole and cornbread dressing, oh my! You can make each of these ahead of time and bake on Thanksgiving day or bake the day before and reheat Thanksgiving day.
Sweet potato casserole
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, baked and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups marshmallows
- Cook and mash the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the sugar, flour, butter, well beaten egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Add the marshmallows on top and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- 2 cans cream style corn
- 1 small box (8.5 ounce size) corn muffin mix
- 1 small container (8 ounce) sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Beat all of the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Top with the shredded cheese and continue cooking until the cheese melts.
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 4 cups bread, cubed (8 slices)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes.
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread (cornbread that has been prepared prior; either homemade or from a mix)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon celery salt (use amount to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (again, use amount to your taste)
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups to 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and press all of the ingredients into the bottom of the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes.