3 Kid-friendly broccoli recipes
Broccoli is hidden in these kid-approved dishes, like pasta with Alfredo sauce, roasted potatoes and cheddar broccoli quiches. Paired with cheese, creamy sauces and in bite-size quiches, your kids will love the taste of this healthy green vegetable. You may even have them asking for more!
Roasted potatoes with broccoli
Serves about 4
For the potatoes:
- 1-1/4 pound baby red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
- Dash of dried basil
- Dash of dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
For the dish:
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed and chopped
- To prepare the potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the salt, pepper and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Cut the potatoes into wedges and place on a foil lined baking sheet and lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray. Liberally sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper mixture. Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes, or until the edges of the potatoes are golden brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by melting the butter in a large pot with minced garlic, oregano and basil. Heat until the butter is melted. Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan and cook a few minutes longer, or until the sauce is thick. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped broccoli and potatoes together. Pour the sauce over the mixture and serve immediately.
Bite-size cheddar broccoli quiches
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
Yields about 4 quiches
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped and steamed
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup 1 percent milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup part-skim sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup grated part-skim Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, cream, milk, salt and pepper and cheddar cheese. Stir in the chopped broccoli.
- Ladle the egg mixture into the prepared muffin cavities, until about 2/3 the way full. Sprinkle each one with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and solid. Let chill slightly then enjoy!
Low-fat broccoli Alfredo
Serves about 4
- 2 ounces of fettuccine or bow-tie pasta noodles
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Dash of sea salt
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, rinse and set aside.
- Steam or boil the broccoli and set aside.
- Heat the skim milk and butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Slowly whisk in the flour. Simmer until slightly thickened, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once the sauce is thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan and salt. Mix well.
- Add the pasta and broccoli and stir over low heat until heated through.