Healthy homemade pop tarts recipe
In most families, it seems like the kids' favorite foods are not usually the healthiest foods. Luckily, with a little extra effort you can still serve up your child's favorite breakfast treat without all the sugar, preservatives and processed ingredients. Try this homemade recipe for a healthy spin on pop tarts.
Homemade pop tarts recipe
Makes 8 pop tarts
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup jam or fresh fruit
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until a dough is formed.
- Roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out 16 rectangles from the dough.
- Lay 8 of the rectangles out on a cookie sheet.
- Spoon approximately 1-1/2 tablespoons of jam or fresh fruit onto the center of each rectangle.
- Top with the remaining 8 rectangles and press a fork down along the edges to seal them.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the dough is lightly browned.
- While the pop tarts cool, mix together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread the frosting on top of each of the pastries and top with sprinkles, if desired.