3 Tasty breakfast skillet recipes
Breakfast skillets are a combination of eggs, meats, potatoes, cheeses and veggies that pack a flavorful punch. A new staple of many diners and breakfast restaurants, these hearty meals can be eaten any time of day, but they're still most popular for breakfast. Try one of these three delicious skillets or create your own.
Southwest breakfast skillet recipe
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes (any variety or mixed), cubed
- 1 pound spicy breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 Fresno pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 ounce Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon Mexican oregano, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil or cooking spray
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
Tip: Cook your skillet ingredients on a flat-top grill to reduce the number of dishes you have to use.
- Sauté the potatoes with the Mexican oregano, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper until they begin to soften. Add the peppers and red onions (about 3/4 of the way through) and cook until the potatoes are golden brown. (Cover them with foil to steam them a little faster.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, brown the sausage, then drain it on a plate covered with two paper towels to absorb the excess fat.
- Fry two eggs over-easy (or scramble if desired).
- To serve, pile the potatoes on a plate (or into a cast-iron skillet for a rustic presentation), then top them with the sausage, cheese, fresh green onions and tomatoes.
- Serve with hot pepper sauce, sour cream or other Mexican-inspired condiments.
Vegetarian breakfast skillet recipe
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 4 large baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 deli slices cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Sauté the veggies and spices in the cooking spray until soft.
- Beat the eggs and cook until fluffy.
- Line an oven-safe skillet or casserole dish with the vegetables and top them with the eggs.
- Place the cheese slices on top and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.
Easy down-home breakfast skillet with sausage gravy recipe
- 1 (28 ounce) bag frozen potatoes O'Brien (cubed potatoes with peppers and onions)
- 1 packet gravy mix
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 3 eggs
- Cook the frozen potatoes and gravy mix according to the package directions.
- Brown the sausage, but do not drain the fat. Add the sausage and extra fat to the gravy and mix well over low to medium heat (the sausage fat will mitigate some of the flouriness that packet gravy can have).
- Fry or scramble the eggs.
- To serve, pile the potato mixture on a plate (or into a cast-iron skillet for a rustic presentation), then top with the gravy and eggs.