Whole wheat French toast sticks recipe
Whole wheat French toast sticks
Serves about 4
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Libby
These crunchy, sweet sticks are made with whole wheat bread, light cream and a dab of real maple syrup, so they are a little healthier than the ones you buy. Plus, when you make them at home, you can make them even better for your family by adding chunks of fresh fruit!
- 6 slices thick whole wheat bread (or Texas toast or Italian bread)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Cut your bread into thirds and place them on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, milk, cinnamon and brown sugar together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Once mixed, pour the mixture over the bread slices. Soak the bread for about 2 minutes in the fridge.
- Sprinkle the crushed corn flakes over the bread. Then, place the sticks into the freezer until they are firm.
- Once firm, bake for 8 minutes, flip and bake another 6 - 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and strawberries and enjoy!