Peanut butter and jelly French toast recipe
Peanut butter and jelly French toast
Serves about 6
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
You can use any flavor of jam you prefer, but we made ours with homemade low-sugar strawberry jam for an even healthier breakfast. This French toast makes a great addition to your lazy Saturday morning or when you need the extra encouragement to get your kids out of bed on a weekday!
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 3/4 cup low-sodium peanut butter
- 1/3 cup homemade strawberry jam
- 3 eggs
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Fresh maple syrup
- Spread the peanut butter on six of the pieces of bread. Cover the peanut butter with jelly and put the other six slices of bread over the jelly to make sandwiches.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk and cream together. Dip the whole sandwich into the egg mixture.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, put the sandwiches onto the skillet and cook them until both sides are golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove them from the heat and garnish with peanuts and maple syrup or powdered sugar.