Not the Perfect Cook: Spicy Caribbean fish sandwich
Spicy Caribbean fish sandwich
A deep sea fishing trip would be a fabulous gift to give to Dad, but if that is not possible, treat the entire family to a spicy Caribbean fish cake sandwich. Depending on just how hot and spicy you want it, adjust the number of habanero peppers you use. Also remember, when dealing with habanero peppers, do not touch your eyes after cutting them! The heat is in the seeds, so if you want to remove the seeds, just cut off the top, then scoop the seeds out of the pepper. The heat is still there, but it will not be nearly as hot with the seeds removed. In place of mayonnaise, use the cilantro lime cream sauce to tone down the heat and compliment the fish. This is such a delicious fish sandwich, but even more exciting is how easy it is to prepare.
Serving size will vary based on size and thickness of the cakes.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 habanero pepper, stem removed (for extra spicy, use two peppers)
- 1 small carrot, quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 small sweet onion, quartered
- 1 pound cooked tilapia cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more may be needed to cook entire batch)
- Buns of your choice
- Cilantro lime cream sauce (recipe below)
- Place garlic, habanero pepper(s), carrot, cilantro and onion in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is combined.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the tilapia chunks to the food processor and pulse to very small pieces.
- Remove the tilapia from the food processor and add to the vegetable bowl. Stir to combine and add seasonings, beaten egg and bread crumbs.
- Heat your griddle, skillet or cast iron skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form the cake, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked.
- Serve on your favorite buns with the cilantro lime cream sauce.
Cilantro lime cream sauce
- 1 cup sour cream (or Greek or plain yogurt)
- 1 large lime
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pulse the sour cream (or yogurt), cilantro, zest of lime and juice of lime in the blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.