Pear and cherry crisp with walnut-oat topping recipe
Pear and cherry crisp with walnut-oat topping
Whether you serve this as dessert for the family or as a special treat for guests, consider a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt for less fat) for the side! This dessert makes a pretty, colorful presentation and has a welcoming feel, any time of the year.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups Anjou pears, sliced and cored
- 1 cup pitted cherries, frozen unsweetened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a large bowl and combine the 1/2 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar and the rolled oats.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces and use a pastry blender to mix it in with the flour mixture until it combines into small, crumbles. Add the walnuts. Set the mixture aside.
- In another large bowl, add the remaining sugar, the extra flour and the cinnamon.
- Toss in the pear, cherries, lemon juice and zest and mix well.
- Add the fruit mixture to a 2-quart, ungreased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the oat and walnut mixture over the top.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is browned.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving in individual bowls.
In-season fruit tastes amazing! This dessert is a great opportunity to put it to a taste-test!