Best barbecue chicken recipes
Grilled chicken breast kebabs
These chicken kebabs are healthy and tasty. Make them with your favorite veggies or fruits on the skewers.
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4 pound white boiling onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- Bottled barbecue sauce
- Metal skewers
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks. Wash and chop vegetables into 1-inch chunks as well.
- Place chicken and veggies into a zip bag with teriyaki sauce. Turn several times to coat and refrigerate for an hour to marinate.
- Spray metal skewers with non-stick cooking spray. Brush grill grate with vegetable oil and preheat grill for 10 minutes.
- Thread chicken and vegetables onto skewers. Grill kebabs for 5-7 minutes, brushing often with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Serve over rice with a fresh green salad.
Beer braised barbecued chicken
In this barbecued chicken recipe, the chicken is first braised on the stovetop, then quickly grilled just before serving. Don't use breasts for this recipe -- they'll dry out. Stick to thighs, drums and wings for juicy flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 4 pounds chicken thighs, drumsticks and wings
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1-1/4 cups ale or lager-style beer
- 2-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 4 ears corn
- Herb compound butter for serving (related recipe below)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 3 tablespoons of the oil until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan along with the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the beer and barbecue sauce and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Pour the sauce into a shallow bowl and let cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat an indoor electric grill on medium-high heat. Brush the chicken on both sides with some of the sauce. Grill the chicken, turning once and brushing occasionally with more sauce, until nicely grill-marked, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a platter and brush with more sauce. Serve with corn and herb compound butter.
Herb compound butter
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mash butter into other ingredients until smooth.
- Place a piece of waxed paper onto your work surface. Scrape the butter mixture onto the paper.
- Shape the butter into a cylinder and roll it into the paper.
- Wrap the log tightly in the paper and twist the ends to secure.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set.
- Unwrap and slice the butter to serve.
Pineapple BBQ chicken
With canned pineapple and bottled barbecue sauce, you can make delicious chicken in a flash.
- 2 cans pineapple chunks
- 4 tablespoons bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Empty one can of pineapple chunks into a blender and finely chop. Stir blended pineapple into the barbecue sauce. Add maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and spices. You can adjust the cayenne pepper, depending on how much kick you want.
- Place chicken breasts onto a broiler pan and spoon sauce over the chicken. Broil 6 inches from the heat source for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add a second can of pineapple chunk on top of the chicken. Spoon additional sauce over pineapple spears. Broil 20-25 minutes longer.