Watermelon decorated cupcakes recipe
Although these look like watermelons, they taste like rich vanilla cake and decadent buttercream. These are a great dessert idea for end of the year school parties and are perfect for Memorial Day BBQs!
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of Cooking
For the cupcakes:
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light cream or 1 percent milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
For the decorating:
- 1 cup buttercream icing (use this recipe)
- Red food coloring
- Green icing in a jar (I used this)
- Black icing gel
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12-cavity muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until fully combined. Add a 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stir well. Add in a 1/2 cup of milk. Repeat until you've added in the rest of the milk and flour (be sure to end with the flour).
- Fill each muffin cavity about 2/3 of the way full with the batter. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let cupcakes cool completely before you frost.
- To make icing, mix the white buttercream with red food dye. Color until icing resembles the color of a watermelon (a very deep pink). Starting in the middle, frost each cupcake with the pink frosting, leaving a 1/4-inch of the edge dry.
- Carefully pipe green icing around the very edge of the cupcake. Then using your black icing gel, carefully add a few dots onto the middle of the pink icing so it looks like watermelon seeds.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!