Not the Perfect Cook: Salmon cakes that are cheap and easy
Keeping families out of the drive thru and cooking at home is a great passion of mine. It can be easily achieved with just a bit of thoughtful planning and sticking to a careful budget. Not only are these salmon cakes delicious and simple to make, but they are extremely easy on your budget.
Adding a cilantro-lime cream sauce to the salmon cakes makes them not only appear like a restaurant-worthy meal, but kids (of all ages) will approve and ask for this item to be thrown into your weekly rotation! I also like to serve these as salmon burgers for an extra treat using the same recipe. I know that I am Not the Perfect Cook but putting a perfectly good meal on your table is easier than you think, especially with favorites like these!
Old fashioned salmon cakes
Serving Size 4-6
- 2 cans canned salmon, drained (but liquid reserved in separate bowl)
- 1/2 white onion, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs seasoned to your taste (ground black pepper or cayenne pepper)*
- Dash of hot sauce (more or less, as you desire)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- finely chopped garlic, if desired
*Cook's Note: Salt is not needed because the canned salmon is salty enough.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. The reason you grate the onion into this mixture is for the fine texture, along with the onion's juice, which lends a lot of flavor.
- Form mixture into patties (cakes).
- If the mixture is too dry, add the liquid from the canned salmon (feel free to dilute this mixture with some water) by adding a teaspoon at a time.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook salmon cakes for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the cilantro lime cream sauce (recipe follows).
Cilantro lime cream sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- Juice of 1 to 2 limes
- Zest from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender (or even by hand) combine cilantro, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Add salt and pepper, blend together and serve with salmon cakes.