Valentine’s Day lunchbox recipes
Heart-Shaped Pumpernickel Cream Cheese Strawberry Sandwiches
You can use whatever bread you want – my son loves pumpernickel and it is a fun change from white bread. As a bonus, heart-shaped sandwiches are a hit with kids who prefer crustless bread.
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 large fresh strawberries, slices lengthwise to keep their "heart-shape"
- Using a large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut bread into large hearts.
- Spread one side of each heart with cream cheese.
- Lay strawberry slices on two of the hearts, covering the cream cheese.
- Top with remaining hearts, cream cheese side down. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap to pack.
Heart-Shaped Turkey Meatloaf
A 6-cavity silicon pan makes this meatloaf recipe a heart-shaped cinch.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried cherries
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons cherry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease the insides of the silicon hearts with canola oil.
- Add all ingredients except cherry preserves to a large bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Divide meatloaf mixture among heart-shaped cavities. Spread preserves in a thin layer overtop each meatloaf.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Carefully pop meatloaves out of pan and allow to cool completely before placing in individual-serving sized airtight containers.
Note: Meatloaf can be eaten cold or warm. To reheat, place in a microwave-safe container and cook on HIGH for 1 minute or until warm.
Valentine's Day Pink Smoothie
Pink smoothies are the perfect lunchbox drink on Valentine's Day.
- 1 (8-ounce) carton vanilla or raspberry yogurt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into 2 airtight lunchbox drink containers.
- Pack smoothies with a small lunchbox cold pack to keep smoothies cold.