Apple dumpling recipes
Easy apple dumplings
You can whip this yummy dessert up in a jiffy, whether you have drop-in guests (surprise!) or are just craving a warm treat.
- 1 10-ounce can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2-3 apples, cored
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Roll each biscuit into a circle about 6 inches in circumference.
- Place 1/2 of an apple onto each circle.
- Wet the edges of dough, then pinch them together with your fingers.
- Place dumplings in an 8-by-8-inch square pan.
- Combine sugar, water, vanilla and butter; bring to a boil.
- Pour syrup over dumplings.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until dumplings are golden.
- Baste the dumplings with the syrup a few times throughout the cooking process.
Apple Dumplings with raisins and walnuts
Raisins and walnuts add some extra oomph to this apple dumpling recipe.
- Store bought pie dough
- 6 small apples
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine raisins and walnuts in a mixing bowl.
- Cut pie dough into 6 squares.
- Core apples and place one apple on each dough square.
- Fill apple cores with the raisin and walnut mixture.
- Wrap apples in the dough, using a bit of water to "seal" the dough around the apples, then put them in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Combine the sugar, apple juice, corn syrup, butter and cinnamon to a saucepan and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the wrapped apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and apples are tender.
Apple and pear dumplings
Servings: 4 (2 dumplings per person)
Mix things up a bit by adding pear to this delish dumpling recipe.
- Package of large egg roll wrappers
- 1 large, pear peeled, cored and cut into 8 chunks
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and cut into 8 chunks
- 3 quarts of salted water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- granulated sugar for dusting
- Boil the salted water.
- Place one chunk of apple and one chunk of pear on each of the 8 egg roll wrappers, and then pinch them closed with wet fingers.
- With tongs, place the dumplings in the water, then let the water reboil.
- Simmer dumplings for about ten minutes, stirring so they don't get stuck on the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the dumplings from the water when they rise to the top.
- Melt butter in a skillet, then add breadcrumbs, and spices, stir often.
- Then remove the dumplings from the boiling water, place them in the "topping" mixture, and sprinkle with some granulated sugar.