Healthy turkey noodle casserole
Forgo the boxes of that well-known hamburger noodle mix and sink your fork into this Healthy Turkey Noodle Casserole. Made with lean ground turkey, tomato sauce, whole wheat noodles, and low-fat dairy, this is a baked pasta dish your family will crave.
Turkey noodle casserole recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces no-yolk whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned and onion is softened. Add garlic and parsley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Puree cottage cheese and sour cream in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spread half the noodles in the prepared pan. Top with half the cottage cheese mixture and half the meat sauce. Repeat with the remaining noodles, cottage cheese and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.