Healthy makeover: Crab cakes
Classic crab cakes are made with mayo and crushed crackers and fried in oil, making them a tasty but high-fat meal. ChefMom gives crab cakes a healthy makeover with light mayo, whole wheat bread crumbs and oven baking.
Healthy crab cakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise made with olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg 1 1/4 pounds lump crab meat, picked over to remove any shell, flaked
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Season with salt and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and use your hands to thoroughly mix. Form crab mixture into 6 to 8 flat cakes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and generously spray with cooking spray.
- Bake crab cakes for 10 minutes and flip. Bake for 5 more minutes or until they are golden brown and heated through. Serve with a low fat tartar sauce or another flavorful sauce of your choice.